As I'm back in the job market, I figured it was time to clean up some of my site internals. I've learned a lot about a lot since I first built it and my scss in particular was really showing its age. While I was in the trenches, I realized there was another big pain point I could fix: my blog.
For a long time, I had my blog in two places. It actually lived on tumblr, but I mirrored it on the blog section of my site using tumblr's APIv1. This was accomplished with some jQuery that would trigger on load and populate a
This was fine, but it meant I was maintaining two sets of css and user experience was inconsistent depending on which platform they were reading on. I was already leveraging middleman to generate my static site and found that they have a blogging extension. Moving all my posts would allow me to check my posts into git and use triple ` notation for code blocks. The only hiccup was that tumblr has no way to export all of your posts, so it was time to dive back into their API. The game was afoot.Read more